Export licences and certificates


From 1 January 2021 you will need to get a licence or certificate to export some types of goods from the UK.

Animals, plants, food and agricultural products

Chemicals and waste

Controlled goods

  • controlled goods – these include military items, dual-use items (items with both civil and military uses), firearms, and items that can be used for torture or capital punishment

Cultural goods



There are different types of sanctions for trade, transport, finance and immigration.

Check if the goods you’re exporting will be controlled by UK sanctions from 1 January 2021.

You may also not be allowed to export your goods to someone who is subject to financial sanctions.

First published 16 July 2020