Vehicle documents for international road haulage



You need certain heavy goods vehicle (HGV) and trailer documents to legally cross international borders in a UK-registered vehicle.

Your vehicle must be taxed and you must carry certain documents about your HGV and trailer with you if you drive a commercial vehicle carrying goods between countries.

These include:

  • the vehicle and trailer registration documents
  • certificates for any specialist approvals the vehicle has
  • a goods vehicle operator licence disc
  • licences or permits needed for the journey
  • vehicle and trailer insurance documents
  • a GB sticker (UK stickers from 28 September 2021)

There’s separate guidance about the HGV driver documents you need for international road haulage.

This guide aims to provide details of the main documents you must have with you to satisfy the regulations as you cross each international border.