Designing a successful brand
Benefits of design in establishing a brand
Good design plays a major role in building a great brand. It is important to understand how the two can benefit your business.
Advantages of designing a brand
Branding offers a number of key benefits:
- A competitive advantage - eg it can help you compete for audience attention, employee talent, resources and funding.
- A stable asset - when aligned with your business strategy, it can outlast products, technologies, market changes. Consider, for example, the 'Coca Cola' brand that's been around for more than a century.
- Financial value - although intangible, branding can create a lot of value for your business. For example, by building awareness for your business and helping you attract customers, suppliers, etc.
While branding is a strategic activity, there is usually a vital creative component too. Think about - for example - the Nike 'swoosh', which is a simple, yet effective, logo that conveys energy and movement, and is appropriate to a company that makes performance sportswear.
Types of design used in building a brand
Many design disciplines are used in developing a successful brand, including:
- graphic design - to create a visual image for your business
- website design - to help you market and sell your products online
- retail design - to build the look and feel of the environment where you sell your products
- office design - to create a space that expresses your brand and shows what your business stands for
Building a corporate identity
Your corporate identity is made up of the visible elements of your business, including:
- business and brand names
- any specific colours you use in your logo, branding, premises, etc
- retail environment or office
Read more about branding for your business.