Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) Scheme
Get an EORI number
You need an EORI number to move goods between the UK and non-EU countries.
If you do not have one, you may have increased costs and delays. For example, if HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) cannot clear your goods you may have to pay storage fees.
Apply for an EORI number that starts with GB
To apply for an Economic Operators Registration and Identification number (EORI number) you need your:
- Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) - find your UTR if you do not know it
- business start date and Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code - these are in the Companies House register
- Government Gateway user ID and password
- VAT number and effective date of registration (if you’re VAT registered) - these are on your VAT registration certificate
- National Insurance number - if you’re an individual or a sole trader
If you do not already have a Government Gateway user ID, you’ll be able to create one when you apply.
You’ll get your GB EORI number immediately unless HMRC needs to make any checks on your application. If they do, it can take up to 5 working days.
Apply for an EORI number that starts with XI
You must have applied for a GB EORI number before you can get an XI EORI number.
Once you have your GB EORI number then fill in an enquiry form, making sure you:
- tick the box to say you will be trading with Northern Ireland or are based in Northern Ireland
- tick the box saying your enquiry is a “Query regarding a current EORI number application”
You’ll get your XI EORI within 4 days.
Get help with an EORI number
Fill in an enquiry form if you have forgotten your EORI number, your details have changed or you have a question about your application.
Telephone: 0300 322 9434
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (closed bank holidays)
Find out about call charges