How to build and manage an effective team
What can cause a team to be ineffective?
Building and managing a team requires careful consideration and planning. It is not a one-off exercise - team building is a task that needs to be invested in for the long-term.
Things to avoid when building teams
There are many reasons why teamwork fails - examples include teams that:
- lose focus on their purpose or goals
- have individuals that are too similar in terms of skills and ways of thinking will not be able to reach their full potential
- are made up of individuals that are uncompromising, confrontational and don't look to resolve disputes or find ways of working together with others
- are dominated by one or two individuals
- have individuals that won't take responsibility for their tasks leading to resentment and blame among team members
- have individuals that don't share information
- don't communicate effectively
- don't look for a consensus when making decisions
- lack openness and trust
- aren't provided with the resources they need to get the job done
- aren't fully supported by management
Find out the steps to building an effective team in the workplace.