How to move goods by air

Airfreight industry regulations


You can import and export most products to and from the UK without a licence. However, certain goods are restricted, so you need to be aware of which industry regulations you comply with. Commonly sensitive products, such as armaments, drugs, products originating from endangered animal species and certain high-tech computer products, require a licence before they can be exported.

You should also be aware of the Export Control Joint Unit.

Certain countries have specific regulations - eg if you import food into the USA, you must provide prior notification to the US Food and Drug Administration of each shipment of food.

Airfreight and dangerous goods

If you intend to move dangerous goods by air, you must ensure that your goods are packaged, labelled and certificated in compliance with the International Air Transport Association Dangerous Goods Regulations. Consignments of dangerous goods moving to or from an airport also need to comply with the regulations for the transport of dangerous goods by road.

You can read our guide on documentation when moving dangerous goods.