How business rates valuations are calculated
Business rates valuation: specialist schemes
There are particular rules and schemes that apply to some non-domestic properties.
Valuation schemes for specialist properties
Land & Property Services (LPS) have published a list of valuation schemes and guidance notes for specialist non-domestic properties.
Farmhouses are valued in the same way as other domestic properties. Further information on domestic valuation including farmhouses.
Valuation of quarries
The scheme for the valuation of quarries has been updated as part of Revaluation 2015. The Rating of Quarries (Plant & Machinery) Order (NI) 2007 provides for the granting of rate exemptions for specified items of plant and machinery to promote environmental good practice and align with Northern Ireland policy on aggregates levy.
Legislation now provides for the following to be excluded in valuations for rating purposes:
- recycling equipment fitted to any plant and machinery used in quarries where that recycling equipment is used or intended to be used for environmental works
- bunds which prevent environmental pollution and the ingress of water
- covers for oil and chemical storage facilities which prevent environmental pollution and the ingress of water
- covers for screen houses, covers and bays which prevent the spread of dust
- pits which are used for the settlement of suspended solids in water discharges to protect surrounding water courses
- bays used in connection with construction and demolition waste materials
For further information on the valuation of quarries you can contact LPS on Tel 0300 200 7801 (charged at local rate).
Please note: Most LPS services are available, but LPS Customer Information Centres remain closed until further notice. The Ordnance Survey helpline remains closed until further notice, however queries can be directed to Mapping.Helpdesk@finance-ni.gov.uk. Helplines for rating and valuation, housing benefit, rates relief and land registration are open.
Closures will be kept under regular review in line with further Government announcements. Further information on service updates, helpline numbers and reaching LPS by email are available on the LPS website.