How business rates valuations are calculated

Business rates: appealing your valuation


If you think your rate bill is too high due to your valuation being wrong there are steps you can take to appeal it.

See estimate your rate bill.

Apply to have your rating valuation revised

When your property has been valued for the first time or following alterations, you will receive a Certificate of Valuation showing your new valuation.

If you move into an existing property and feel that your rates are too high, you can apply to Land & Property Services (LPS) to have the valuation revised. You will then receive a Certificate of Valuation showing the revised valuation - it should be noted that the valuation may remain unchanged or may increase.

To have your property valued, you can:

Appeal your rating valuation

If you think that the valuation on your new Certificate of Valuation is incorrect, you can appeal this to the Commissioner of Valuation within 28 days. To appeal your valuation you must complete CR20 valuation appeal form and return it to the Commissioner of Valuation.

Download the LPS CR20 valuation appeal form (PDF, 733K).

Further appeals

If you remain dissatisfied with the Commissioner's decision, you can appeal your rating valuation to the Northern Ireland Valuation Tribunal - domestic or mixed properties where the Net Annual Value (NAV) is less than £12,500 - or the Lands Tribunal for Northern Ireland for all other non-domestic properties.

You should be aware that you must still pay your business rates while you are waiting for a decision and if your appeal is successful LPS will refund any amount overpaid, along with interest, if applicable.

Seeking independent advice and the NAV

During any discussion with LPS about your business property's NAV, you do not need to have independent representation.

However, if you or your company wish to be represented or seek independent advice, members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV) are qualified and regulated by rules of professional conduct.

Before employing a rating adviser, you should check that they have:

  • the necessary knowledge and expertise
  • appropriate indemnity insurance

Be careful about paying consultants up front either for their services or for them to lodge appeals on your behalf. If you are unsure you should seek further guidance from the RICS or IRRV before entering into any contract.