Driver documents required for international road haulage

Insurance and medical documents for drivers


In some countries drivers are held to be legally responsible for their loads, whether or not they know of the contents.

It is a good idea to leave photocopies of all medical, insurance and legal documents as back-up with family or friends in case you should need copies after your company's normal business hours.

In some European Union (EU) and other countries your vehicle must carry warning equipment, such as visibility clothing and warning triangles and spare bulbs.

Vehicle and trailer insurance

A ‘green card’ is proof of motor insurance cover when driving abroad.

You need a green card to drive in:

Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Iran, Israel, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine.

You do not need a green card to drive in the EU (including Ireland), Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia or Switzerland.

You will need to carry multiple green cards if:

  • you have fleet or multi-car insurance - you’ll need a green card for each vehicle
  • your vehicle is towing a trailer - you’ll need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer or caravan (you need separate trailer insurance in some countries)
  • you have 2 policies covering the duration of your trip, for example, if your policy renews during the journey

You must carry a physical copy of your green card when driving abroad. Electronic versions of green cards are not acceptable.

Make sure your employer has got green cards
Make sure your employer either:

  • contacts their vehicle insurance provider at least 6 weeks before you travel to get a copy
  • prints green cards their insurance providers electronically send to them (this does not need to be printed on green paper)

When you will have to show your green cards
You will need to show green cards if you’re involved in an accident.

Find out more about vehicle insurance.

What to do if you’re involved in a road accident

Contact your insurance provider if you’re involved in a road accident in the EU.

Any legal proceedings against either the responsible driver or the insurance provider of the vehicle will need to be brought in the EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, depending on where the accident happened. You might have to make your claim in the local language.

You will not get compensation in some countries if the accident is caused by an uninsured driver or if the driver cannot be traced.

Get legal advice if you need more information about this.


You should always get appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go abroad.

A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in the EU country.

You should continue to use an EHIC. If you apply for a card now, you’ll get a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of an EHIC.

GHICs and most UK EHICs will not cover you in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland. If you’re visiting those countries, make sure you have travel insurance with health cover.

Leave photocopies of all medical, insurance and legal documents as back-up with family or friends in case you need copies outside of your company’s normal business hours.

Find out about buying travel insurance with the right cover.


Diplomatic consuls in foreign countries can be a valuable first-port-of-call for help in the event of an emergency. There are many things that consuls have the ability to do to help local citizens in difficulty. Find more information on the services from: