Driving dangerous goods and special loads abroad

The ADR test required to certify vehicles used to transport dangerous goods


Vehicles used to transport dangerous or hazardous goods must undergo annual checks in order to certify that they are roadworthy.

Certain dangerous goods vehicles must have an extra test and certificate over and above the normal heavy goods vehicle roadworthiness test. This is known informally as an 'ADR test'. It ensures that vehicles comply with the European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR). Vehicle requirements vary according to the nature of the goods being carried.

How to book your annual ADR Dangerous Goods Vehicle Test

Dangerous goods vehicle tests can be done at all Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency test stations. An ADR vehicle test can be carried out at the same time as the annual test, and an extra fee is payable for this. 

Find out more about how to get a vehicle approved to carry dangerous goods by road.