Driving dangerous goods and special loads abroad

The dangerous goods vehicle approval certificate


If you intend to carry explosives or dangerous goods in tanks by road to or through countries which apply the European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR), you may need to obtain a certificate. You can view requirements of ADR 2021 on construction and approval of vehicles on the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) website.

Fixed-tank vehicles, tank-battery vehicles and other vehicles carrying explosives must undergo technical inspection and a certification procedure in their country of registration to make sure that they conform with ADR requirements and to the standard safety regulations in force, eg covering brakes, lighting and steering.

In the UK, vehicles can be inspected at certain Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency Goods Vehicle Testing Stations. These will issue a certificate of approval, valid for one year, for vehicles, which pass this inspection. Vehicle operators must pay a fee for the inspection.

Find more information on how to get a vehicle approved to carry dangerous goods by road.