Driving dangerous goods and special loads abroad

Driver training certificates required under ADR


Under the European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR), drivers of vehicles with tanks and certain tank components, and some drivers of vehicles carrying dangerous goods in packages, are required to hold a special vocational certificate of training, sometimes referred to informally as an 'ADR Certificate'.

All drivers of vehicles carrying dangerous goods must attend an approved basic training course. These courses equip drivers with information and tools so that they:

  • are aware of the hazards arising in the carriage of dangerous goods
  • can take steps to reduce the likelihood of an incident taking place
  • can take all necessary measures for their own safety and that of the public and the environment to limit the effects of any incident that does occur
  • have individual practical experience of the actions they will need to take